Ribbonwoods recommended activities in Glacier Country
Here you will find our pick of walks, nature tours, flights and adventure activities in Franz Josef. We are keen walkers and bird enthusiasts. Staying at our accommodation means you will have our resident flora and fauna expert Jonathan at hand.
We will tailor make your experience, according to the weather, time, tides and interest to make the very best of Glacier Country for you.
As part of our concierge service we are happy to help you with planning. Activities are often booked out during our high season, so to save disappointment it is best to use our local knowledge.
- The rowi (Okarito brown kiwi) habitat is on our doorstep.
- The breeding colony of kotuku (white heron) is in the area at the north of Okarito lagoon.
- Swim and kayak in the pristine waters of Lake Mapourika with panoramic views of the Southern Alps and rainforest.
- Explore the beaches and wetlands of Okarito, following the historic horse and dray "pack track" through lowland Rimu forest, climbing above the seaside cliffs.
- Climb spectacular ice walls in the upper part of the Franz Josef Glacier or take an informative, friendly and relaxed eco-style tour.
Tramps and Walks
Ribbonwood Retreat accommodation is an ideal base to explore Glacier Country walking tracks. There are great choices for walks, short or long.
Exploring the natural beauty of the environment on your own or joining one of many guided outdoor activities around the area, your choice!
Up close views of New Zealand’s highest mountain Aoraki and Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers is simply the flight of a lifetime.