Things To Do in Franz Josef Glacier
We are passionate about sharing our top picks of things to do and see in Glacier Country! So much so that we offer a concierge service if you desire it. We can help tailor your activity itinerary according to your values, level of adventure, the weather forecast and tides. Glacier Country is abundant with adventure options, we hope that you choose to stay a few nights so you can truely see it all! Activities are often booked out during the peak season, so to avoid disapointment, we recommend getting in touch when you book to start planning your trip. We are keen hikers and bird enthusiasts, so if this is something that also interests you let us know and we can share our experiences with you in person at Ribbonwood Retreat and you can take advantage of Jonathans expert knowledge on the local flora and fauna.
Below you can browse our favourite walks, nature tours, flights and adventure activities in Franz Josef.
Our Top Rated Activities in Franz Josef Glacier
- The Rowi (Okarito brown kiwi bird) habitat is on our doorstep, you can see these with a Kiwi tour.
- The breeding colony of kotuku (white heron) is in the area at the north of the Okarito lagoon.
- Swim and kayak in the pristine waters of Lake Mapourika with panoramic views of the Southern Alps and temperate West Coast rainforest.
- Explore the beaches and wetlands of Okarito, following the historic horse and dray "pack track" through lowland Rimu forest, climbing above the seaside cliffs.
- Climb spectacular ice walls in the upper part of the Franz Josef Glacier or take an informative, friendly and relaxed eco-style tour.
- Explore the many short and longer day hikes in the area.
- Splash out on a once in a lifetime helicopter or fixed wing aircraft scenic flight to explore the great Southern Alps, rivers, rainforests and glaciers from the sky.
Hikes & Walks
Ribbonwood Retreat is the ideal base to explore Glacier Country walking tracks. There are a multitude of incredible walks, short and long. There is something for every fitness level!
NZ Native Birds
Explore the natural beauty and array of wildlife in Glacier Country.
You can do this self guided or join one of the many guided tours available in the area.
Get up high and explore the mighty Southern Alps of New Zealand, Aoraki/Mount Cook, Mount Tasman, Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers and so much more from the sky!